Have You Seen Duck? by Janet Holmes - duck has cape; is hero
He Saves the Day by Marsha Hayles
Superhero Me! by Karen Katz**
Super Sam! by Lori Ries
Preschool Read Alouds
Another Perfect Day by Ross MacDonald
Bedtime for Batman by Michael Dahl (2016)
Bertie Was a Watchdog by Rick Walton
Captain Pajamas: Defender of the Universe by Bruce Whatley
Chickens to the Rescue by John Himmelman
Just Another Morning by Linda Ashman
Kiki's Blankie by Janie Bynum - it transforms into a cape
Kapow! by George O'Connor
Max by Bob Graham
Super Hairo and the Barber of Doom by John Rocco - works for for either PST or KST
School Age Read Alouds
Atomic Ace: (He's Just My Dad) by Jeff Weigel
Chick n Pug by Jennifer Sattler
Batman by Ralph Cosentino
Baron von Baddie and the Ice Ray Incident by George McClements
Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey
How I Became Champion of the Universe by Kenneth Harrison
Loretta: Ace Pinky Scout by Keith Graves
SuperHero ABC by Bob McLeod**
Super Guinea Pig to the Rescue by Udo Weigelt
Superhero Max by Lawrence David
Supersister by Beth Cadena
*Created by Nancy Gillespie
1. Dress the Part: Trying on a Superman or Batman cape.
2. Create a Character: Drawing a picture of themselves as a superhero, including whether or not they can fly, the color and style of their costume, their special powers, and any symbol associated with their character.
3. Robin Tight Rope Walk: Children walk across a rope on the floor; can be straight across or curved.
4. More Powerful Than A Locomotive! Children see how many stuffed animals they can "rescue" (i.e. carry).
5. X-Ray Vision: Items in a cloth bag; children take turns guessing what they are.
Nancy also came up with some great Superhero mad libs, a matching game (superhero/secret identity; superhero/sidekick) and Superhero Twister!!