Monday, March 30, 2009

Flannels, Songs and Story Extensions

Book That Works Well As A Flannel Story
Best-Dressed Bear

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin

Books That Translate Into Puppet Stories
Ask Mr. Bear by Marjorie Flack
Don't Wake Up the Bear by Marjorie Murray
Time to Sleep by Denise Fleming
Wake Up, Bear by Lynley Dodd

A-Hunting We Will Go
A-hunting we will go, a-hunting we will go,
We'll catch a bear and comb his hair
And then we'll let him go...

Repeat with:
... We'll catch a fox and put him in a box...
... We'll catch a mouse and put him in a house...
... We'll catch a whale and put her in a pail...
... We'll catch a goat and put her in a boat...

Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
(simplified flannel version of Bill Martin book for Toddlers)
Baby bear, baby bear, what do you see?
I see my Mommy looking at me!
(repeat with other animals)

Bears in the Bed
(Tune of: Ten in the Bed)
There were five in the bed,
And the little one said,
"Roll over, roll over,"
So they all rolled over and one fell out...
(repeat until none are left)

Bear in Tennis Shoes
The other day (the other day)
I met a bear (I met a bear)
In tennis shoes (in tennis shoes)
A dandy pair (a dandy pair)
The other day I met a bear, in tennis shoes, a dandy pair.

He looked at me, I looked at him
He sized up me, I sized up him
(echo and repeat as with first verse)

He said to me, "Why don’t you run?
I see you ain't got any gun."

And so I ran, away from there
but right behind, me was that bear.

In front of me, there was a tree
the biggest tree that I could see

The nearest branch was ten feet up
I'd have to jump and trust my luck

And so I jumped into the air
But I missed that branch, a way up there

Now, don't you fret, now don't you frown
'Cause I caught that branch on the way back down

That's all there is, there ain't no more
Unless I met that bear once more.

The Bear Went Over the Mountain
The bear went over the mountain
The bear went over the mountain
The bear went over the mountain
To see what he could see!

The other side of the mountain
The other side of the mountain
The other side of the mountain
Was all that he could see!

Five Big and Grumpy Bears
(Tune of: Five Green and Speckled Frogs)
Five big and grumpy bears
Looked for a cave to share
Where they could sleep all winter long  (make snoring sounds)

One crossed the mountain wide
Found a cave - and crawled insight
Now there are four big grumpy bears  (growl, growl)

(repeat until none are left)

Fuzzy Wuzzy
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy - was he?

Teddy Wore His Red Shirt
(Tune of: Mary Wore Her Red Dress)
Teddy wore his red shirt,
Red shirt, red shirt,
Teddy wore his red shirt
All day long


No comments: