Saturday, June 02, 2007

Storytime About Pirates, Sailors and Treasure



















Preschool Read Alouds
Bubble Bath Pirates by Jarrett Krosoczka
DinoSailors by Deb Lund
Friends by Helme Heine
I Like Books by Anthony Browne
I Love Boats by Flora McDonnell
Little Badger: Terror of the Seven Seas by Eve Bunting
Sheep in a Ship by Nancy Shaw
This Little Pirate by Philemon Sturges
Tough Boris by Mem Fox
Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea by Jan Peck
We'll All Go Sailing by Maggee Spicer

Kindergarten Read Alouds
Backbeard and the Birthday Suit by Matthew McElligot
Castaway Cats by Lisa Wheeler
Don't Mention Pirates by Sarah McConnell
Great White Man-Eating Shark by Margaret Mahy
Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies by Carolyn Crimi
Night Pirates by Peter Harris
Once Upon a Tide by Tony Mitton
Parrot Tico Tango by Anna Witte
Patch by Justina Hedley
Shiver Me Timbers: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel
Terrific by Jon Agee

4 comments:

Deb Lund said...

Hi Lisa,

I'm honored that DINOSAILORS is on your list. The dinobooks have been quite a journey (really -- I didn't mean to pun).

Thank you for all your work with foster kids. As an adoptive parent, I appreciate your knowledge and heartfelt efforts. Keep up the good work -- all of it!

And Lisa, we have more than these things in common -- visit me at www.deblund.com. and you'll see what I mean.

Dinohugs,
Deb Lund

Liz B said...

Lisa,

I'm from Tea Cozy & wanted to respond to your comment about parents being offended by Kid Tea. It's just such a cute story, that I have to ask, what offended them? Kids getting dirty?

Liz B

Lisa said...

Deb,

How wonderful to meet you! I am so happy to have discovered a kindred spirit and a new friend!

Liz,

I, and many other children's librarians, adore Kid Tea as well...

The parents who were troubled by the story were taking it too literally (e.g. yellow water in the tub - tea - what might have made it yellow - the idea of drinking it).

Sigh... You really can't please everyone. Think of how controversial some of the most fabulous children's books/authors are (e.g. Katherine Paterson, Roald Dahl, etc.)

Amanda said...

Other great ones are "How I became a pirate" and "Pirates don't change diapers" but Long and illustrated by David Shannon. I just did them for a 1st grade class and also a 2nd grade class and they thought they were hilarious.