Saturday, April 11, 2009

Egypt Storytime


Potential Read Alouds
Azad's Camel by Erika Pal
Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile by Tomi DePaola
Chubbo's Pool
by Betsy Lewin
I, Crocodile by Fred Macellino
I'd Really Like to Eat A Child by Sylviane Donnio
Little Humpty by Margaret Wild
Runaway Mummy by Michael Rex
Ten Little Mummies by Phillip Yates
We’re Sailing Down the Nile by Laurie Krebs
What's the Matter, Habibi? by Betsy Lewin
Where Does the the Brown Bear Go? by Nicki Weiss - includes Egyptian animals
Where's My Mummy?  by Carol Crimi

Book To Retell With Puppets/Flannel
Nine Animals and the Well by James Rumford

Books That Inspire Activities
Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors by Marian Broida
Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky
Riddle of the Nile by Deborah Nash

Props and Activities
- Wear a toga or dress puppets in togas
- Hieroglyphic drawing
- Toilet paper rolls (wrap someone in toilet paper like a mummy)

Alligator Pie
Alligator pie, alligator pie
If I don’t get some, I think I’m gonna cry
Take away the green grass, take away the sky
But don’t take away my alligator pie

Alligator cake, alligator cake
If I don’t get some, I think I’m gonna shake
Take away the river, take away the lake
But don’t take away my alligator cake

Alligator stew, alligator stew
If I don’t get some, I don’t know what I’ll do
Take away my socks and take away my shoes
But don’t take away my alligator stew

Camel Countdown
Five little camels
Carrying heavy packs,
Walking through the desert,
Leaving little hoof tracks

One little camel
had a stiff neck,
But the other four camels
Continued their trek

Four little camels
Passed by a tree
One stopped for lunch
Then there were three.

Three little camels
As the hot winds blew
One lost his pack
Then there were two.

Two little camels
Under the hot desert sun,
One took a nap
Then there was one.

The last little camel
Traveled alone
At the end of the day
He was home, sweet home

Five Smiling Crocodiles
Five little crocodiles floating down the Nile,
Each of them had a great big smile.
They laughed and played on a sunshine day
When a little (red) fish swam over their way

One little crocodile forgot about play!
Something yummy was his wish,
So he swam away after the (red) fish.
(repeat with different colored fish)

One little crocodile floating down the Nile
He no longer had a great big smile
His friends were gone – and so were the fish
So he swam back home with a swish, swish, swish

The Lady and the Crocodile
She sailed away on a summer day
On the back of a Crocodile
You see, said she, he's as tame as can be
I'll ride him down the Nile

The Croc winked his eye
as she bade them all good-bye
wearing a happy smile

At the end of the ride
The Lady was inside
And the smile on the crocodile

Over in the Desert
Over in the desert in the sand and the sun
Lived a mother camel and her little camel one
“March,” said the camel.
“We march,” said one.
So they marched in the desert in the heat of the sun
(Repeat with other desert animals: sand cat, snake)

Sally the Camel (Tune: Dem Bones)
Sally the Camel has two humps,
Sally the Camel has two humps,
Sally the Camel has two humps, so
Ride Sally, Ride! Boom, Boom, Boom.

Sally the Camel has one hump,
Sally the Camel has one hump,
Sally the Camel has one hump, so
Ride Sally, Ride! Boom, Boom, Boom.

Sally the Camel has no humps
Sally the Camel has no humps,
Sally the Camel has no humps, so
Sally is a HORSE!

Walking Through the Desert
Walking through the desert, 
What do I see?
I see a camel smiling at me!
(repeat with other desert animals)

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hi! So great to see Eleanor's photo here :) That was a special afternoon in the desert. Great to see you posting regularly again. Adding you to my blogroll!