Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Flannels, Songs and Story Extensions

Books That Translate Well Into Flannel Stories
Dress I'll Wear to the Party by Shirley Neitzel
Jack: Happy Birthday by Rebecca Elgar
It's MY Birthday by Pat Hutchins

Books That Inspire Flannel Stories
Dinosaur Vs. Birthday Cake ~ based on the books by Bob Shea

Books That Inspire Prop Stories
If You Give a Mouse A Birthday Cake ~ based on the books by Laura Numeroff

Books That Translate Well Into Puppet Stories
Ask Mr. Bear by Marjorie Flack
Little Gorilla by Ruth Bornstein
Never Mail an Elephant by Mike Thaler

Books That Translate Well Into Prop Stories
Bunny Cakes by Rosemary Wells - extend with notes
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by Charlotte Zolotow
Surprise by George Shannon

Additional Flannel Scripts

Five Bright Balloons
Five bright balloons went out to play,
Over the hill and far away.
The little child called "Come back, back, back!"
Four bright balloons came floating back.
(Count down until none are left) 

Five Balloons Up in the Sky
Five balloons up in the sky...
See them fly up way up high?
But if one of those balloons should happen to POP!
Then how many books would you have left?
Countdown until none are left...

Pat-A-Cake Birthday Cake
Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man
Bake me the birthday cake as fast as you can
Mix-it-up, stir-it-up, scrape it in the pan
Then put it in the oven as fast as you can

Now lets count... 1, 2, 3
Out comes the cake, yummy as can be
But something is missing...
Which else do we need?      (icing, candles)

Today Is My Birthday   (or a puppet's birthday)
Today is my birthday,
I think I'll make a cake
Mix-it-up, stir-it-up
Bake-bake-bake

Out comes the cake,
Yummy as can be
But something is missing
What else do we need?

We All Want An Ice Cream Cone
(Tune of: Mary Had a Little Lamb)
We all want an ice cream cone,
Ice cream cone, ice cream cone
We all want an ice cream cone, we'll eat it every day.

Strawberrry's our favorite kind, favorite kind, favorite kind
Strawberry's is our favorite kind, we'll eat it every day.

Chocolate mint's our favorite kind, favorite kind, favorite kind
Chocolate mint's our favorite kind, we'll eat it every day.

Chocolate is our favorite kind, favorite kind, favorite kind
Chocolate is our favorite kind, we'll eat it every day.

Fingerplays, Songs and Rhymes
Birthday Song
(Tune of “Do You Know the Muffin Man”)
Oh, do you know the birthday song?
The birthday song, the birthday song…
Do you know the birthday song?
We love to sing along.

Oh, do you know how old you are?
How old you are, how old you are…
Do you know how old you are?
You are ____ years old!

Here We Go Round the Birthday
(Tune of “Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush”)
Here we go round the birthday cake,
The birthday cake, the birthday cake
Here we go round the birthday cake
At the birthday party

This is the way we bounce the balloons
Bounce the balloons, bounce the balloons
This is the way we bounce the balloons
At the birthday party

This is the way we eat the ice cream
Eat the ice cream, eat the ice cream
This is the way we eat the ice cream
At the birthday party

This is the way we wear the hats
Wear the hats, wear the hats
This is the way we wear the hats
At the birthday party

My Big Balloon
Here I have a big balloon, Clasp hands
Watch me while I blow. Blow into hands
Small at first, then bigger, Form circle with fingers
Watch it grow and grow Form larger circles with hands

Do you think it’s big enough? Continue enlarging circle
Maybe I should stop Nod head
For if I blow much longer Tilt head to one side
My balloon will surely pop! Clap hands once

Once I Had A Red Balloon
Once I had a red balloon,
I blew and blew and blew… Blow into hands
Until it got so big and fat
It grew and grew and grew… Spread hands apart
I kept it in the air and I never let it drop Mime this
Until one day, it hit the ground
And suddenly went POP!

Never Stop (Debbie Howard)
I'm going to blow up this balloon
And never, never stop.
I'll blow and blow and blow and blow and
POP!
(Hands make the shape of the balloon and get bigger, then clap loudly on the pop.)

Polly's Birthday
Polly had a birthday
Polly had a cake
Polly's mother made it
Polly watched it bake.

Frosting on the top
Frosting in between.
Oh, it was the nicest cake
That you have ever seen

Polly had some candles
Count them now with me
1- 2- 3- 4- 5 candles
That’s how much I see!

Splat! (M. Perez-Mercado)
I helped my dad; we baked a cake.
I think it was a big mistake.
The frosting fell, it hit the floor…
It hit the wall.
It hit the door.
It hit the dog.
It hit the cat.
It hit my dad with one big SPLAT!
It hit my mom.
It hit my snake.
But it NEVER EVER hit the cake!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for posting all your ideas! I've used many of them for my own story times.

best,
Kristi S.
Lacey, WA

Mary Carroll said...

I LOVE your storytimes! Thanks for posting them!
My favorite "Birthday" craft is cake hat/sculptures. I have them staple two pieces of construction paper around their head to make a giant cake. (I like to use white so they can draw sprinkles and decorations on their "Cake.")I precut some paper candles, and they can tape or staple the candles to the top of their cake. They can wear their cake, or admire it as a sculpture.
This year I bought a "pin the tail on the puppy" game, and we played it with no masks and no tape. Just spin around and try to walk toward the poster and see how close you get with your tail. (I should have brought prizes though.)