Monday, March 12, 2007

Flannels, Songs and Story Extensions

Books That Translate Well Into Flannel Stories
Ah-Choo - A Flower for You

Jack's Garden by Henry Cole
Ladybug Counting
Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary (Traditional)
Max Loves Sunflowers by Ken Wilson-Max

Story That Could Be Shared With Puppets
Lenny in the Garden by Ken Wilson-Max
"Mr. Ant, Mr. Ant, where are you?"
"Here I am!  Here I am! How do you do?"  (with various garden insects/animals)



Books That Are Enhanced by Props
Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
Jasper's Beanstalk by Nick Butterworth

Bee Puppet
What do you suppose?  A bee sat on my nose!
And then what do you think?  He gave a great big wink.
And said, "I beg your pardon, I thought you were a garden!"

Farmer Plants the Seeds
The farmer plants the seeds
The farmer plants the seeds
Hi-ho-the-derry-o, the farmer plants the seeds.
The sun comes out to shine...
The rain begins to fall......
The seeds begin to grow...
The farmer pulls them up...
And now we'll pull them up...

Five Little Flowers
Five little flowers                      Hold up five fingers
Standing in the sun
See their heads nodding           Make fingers nod
One by one.                            Make fingers bow
Out comes the sun
Down falls the rain,                 Flutter fingers downward
And the five little flowers
Lift their heads again!             Hold up five fingers

Five Pretty Flowers
Out in the garden,
Growing in the sun,
Were five pretty flowers,
And I picked ONE!
(Countdown until none are left)

Flower, Flower, What Do You See?
Flower, flower, what do you see?
I see a bumblebee looking at me!

Bee, bee, what do you see?
I see a ladybug looking at me!

Ladybug, ladybug, what do you see?
I see a rabbit hopping by me!

Rabbit, rabbit, what do you see?
I see a cloud raining on me!

Cloud, cloud, what do you see?
I see the sun looking at me!

Something In My Garden             (With Puppets)
There’s something in my garden  - what can it be?
There’s something in my garden that I can’t really see.
Hear its funny sound....

Ribbit, ribbit - a FROG is what  I found!
Squeak, squeak - a MOUSE is what I found!
Caw, caw - a CROW is what I found

This is the Way We Plant the Seeds
(Tune of "Mulberry Branch)
This is the way we plant the seeds
Plant the seeds, plant the seeds
This is the way we plant the seeds so early in the morning.
(Water the seeds, pull up weeds, etc.)

Your Birthday Cake
(Rosemary Wells - Here's A Little Poem: A First Book of Poetry)
Your birthday cake is made of mud
Because I could not cook
I cannot read a recipe or follow in a book
I'm not allowed to use the stove
To simmer roast or bake.
I have no money of my own to buy a birthday cake.
I'm sure to get in trouble if I mess around with dough.
But I've made your birthday cake of mud
Because I love you so.

No comments: