Sunday, February 25, 2007

Flannels, Songs and Story Extensions

Books That Translate Into Flannel Stories
It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles Shaw
James and the Rain by Karla Kuskin
Molly and the Storm by Christine Leeson
Soggy Saturday by Phyllis Root

Books That Translate Into Puppet Stories
Mushroom in the Rain by Mirra Ginsburg
Rainy Day Puddle by Ei Nakaeayashi

Dress the bear: raincoat, rainhat, boots, umbrella
Props to use: boots & umbrella, raincoat
Song: “Leaky Umbrella” from Jim Gill Sings the Sneezing Song… or Mr. Sun by Raffi

Five Little Raindrops (v.1)
Five little raindrops
Up in the sky
One fell down and waved, "Bye-bye"
(repeat until none are left)

Five Little Raindrops (v.2)
Five little raindrops dancing on the walk
Pitter-patter, pitter-patter, that's the way they talk
Out comes the sun, shining in the sky
There goes a raindrop!  Swishhhhhhhh --- bye, bye!
(repeat until none are left)

Itsy-Bitsy Spider
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again.

Rain, Rain, Go Away
Rain rain, go away
_____ (puppet) wants to go and play!

Raindrop, Raindrop, What Do You See?
Raindrop, raindrop, what do you see?
I see a gray cloud looking at me.

Gray cloud, gray cloud, what do you see?
I see an umbrella looking at me.

Umbrella, umbrella, what do you see?
I see a white cloud looking at me.

White cloud, white cloud, what do you see?
I see a yellow sun looking at me.

Yellow sun, yellow sun, what do you see?
I see a rainbow looking at me.

Red Umbrella Keeps Me Dry
(Tune of "London Bridge is Falling Down")
Red umbrella keeps me dry
Keeps me dry, keeps me dry
Red umbrella keeps me dry
On a rainy day
(repeat with umbrellas of different colors)

We're Stomping in the Rain

(Tune of "Farmer in the Dell")
We’re stomping in the rain
We’re stomping in the rain
We can’t go yet
We must get wet!
We’re stomping in the rain
Repeat with hopping, splashing, twirling, etc.

Who Likes Rain?
(Tune of "Three Blind Mice")
Who likes rain, who likes rain.
Ducks like rain, ducks like rain. Quack, quack, quack…
Ducks like rain, ducks like rain.

Walking in the Rain
(Tune of "London Bridgei is Falling Down")
Let's go walking in the rain,
In the rain, in the rain.
Let's go walking in the rain,
Early in the morning.

(Alternate verses)
Feel the raindrops; splash, splash, splash...
Hide under the umbrella; umbrella, umbrella...
Jump in puddles with our boots...
See the rainbow, shining bright...

1 comment:

Mary Carroll said...

A fun "Itsy Bitsy Spider" to make is to have pieces of yarn cut 3-4" long + a skein. (or precut pieces 2-3 feet long)(I like to have them "measure" themselves OR "Guesstimate" to see how long the spider needs to be, rather than precut yarn for them.)
They count out 4 pieces to make the 8 spider legs, and tie one end of the yarn around the middle to make a "spider with a spider thread."
You can also use a gift wrap tube to make a "Water spout." This is very cool, because your little spider friend will actually crawl up the water spout and then get washed out. (You pull the "spider thread.")
This is like an amazing magic trick for toddlers. I haven't tried having them roll a piece of construction paper to make their own water spout. I think that would work, though.